Illuminations

Tickets for Josh Groban's STRAIGHT TO YOU tour go on sale today in much of the country.  I have to wait until tomorrow to buy mine -- and I have to drive to Portland to see him (Why not Boise, Josh? WHY?)  If you want to see Josh on a stage near you, go here:  http://www.joshgroban.com/splash/.  If you want to know about Josh's latest album, ILLUMINATIONS, here's my review:


Once again, Josh creates an album that exceeds my expectations.  And if you know me, you know they were pretty high.  Josh refuses to remain in even the rut of success, but pushes to remain fresh and vibrant, offering something new and yet familiar.  Illuminations is honest, vulnerable, bold, fun and gut wrenching.  His voice is tonally perfect, his writing better than ever and finger work too good to be left to the background.  Illuminations makes me remember that my heart has an ooey-gooey core.





  • THE WANDERING KIND          Really unexpected first song, musically and, um, lyrically?  (Josh?  You there?)  Of course you are – nice finger work, brother.  Fresh blend of acoustic music -- classic Americana.






  • BELLS OF NEW YORK CITY     Frost-tipped melancholy.  Sharp imagery and gorgeous melody.  Illuminating.






  • GALILEO                               I can’t stop smiling.  Nat King Cole style, anyone?  Delish.  Love the mix, the tone, and those unexpected end notes.





  • L’ORA DELL’ADDIO                 Josh, I would cry a river if you ever gave up on Italian songs.  A heart this broken can’t express itself in English, it can only cry out in Italian.






  • HIDDEN AWAY                      Josh always sings one song that motivates me to keep writing.  Here it is.  “All these   words that you meant to say/held in silence/day after day…please don’t keep them hidden away.” 



  • AU JARDIN DES SANS-POURQUOI    For this song alone, France should offer Josh honorary citizenship.  Makes me want to waltz beneath the Eiffel Tower and read Victor Hugo at a café along the Seine.



  • HIGHER WINDOW                 Mmmm, redemption.  Finding romance when happily ever after fails.  Time to read Persuasion again.



  • IF I WALK AWAY                  Again with the fresh instrumentation.  Poetic, vulnerable.



  • LOVE ONLY KNOWS              If it’s ultimatum time, try this tack.  Can fear of commitment be romantic?  You tell me.



  • VOCE EXISTE EM MIM          Brave instrumentation.  Josh gives a big thank you to his long-suffering Brazilian fans with this Portuguese piece that beats like a heart.



  • WAR AT HOME                    Heart-wrenching patriotism.  Honest, inconsolable.  Inspiring without political grandstanding.



  • LONDON HYMN                     Haunting choral harmonies; Latin requiem.  Beautiful writing and choral arrangement, Josh!*



  • STRAIGHT TO YOU               A perfect counterpart to track 8; also reminiscent in spirit to PER TE.  A knight, a tower, a rescue that comes full circle.  Romantic epic.*



  • *Love the subtle vinyl “heartbeat.” 
    To learn more or buy ILLUMINATIONS: http://www.joshgroban.com/albums/illuminations

    Comments

    1. Okay...1)I didn't know that Josh actually composed his songs (any of them), I thought he was "just a singer"...2)I didn't know he played any instruments. Good reviewing Jen, I'll have to give him another listen, or two. My curiosity, at least, has just gone up two notches.

      ReplyDelete
    2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this CD. It plays in my car all the time and I never grow tired of it. Your review is magical. I wish so much it could find its way to Josh. I think he would truly love it.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    Truth Lies & Everything in Between: A Propaganda Almanac

    Dreaming of Neverland

    Twelve Teen Dystopian MUST Reads for Summer 2018