Bridges -- A Review of Josh Groban's Eighth Studio Album


Josh Groban's voice has always seemed to me like gold dust filling the air, but it's more than that. Yes, he's funny and dorky and charming, but he is also driven and courageous, trying new things rather than being content with the faux-opera easy-listening rut where some would like to park him.

Since he first emerged as a seventeen-year-old rehearsal fill in for Andrea Bocelli, Josh has carefully pushed boundaries, respecting the roots that made him a fan favorite while adding more of his own flavor to each album. Despite all of his talents and risk taking, Josh's award shelf remains empty, which may be why he left the studio behind in 2015 and took another risk: a stint on Broadway in "Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812." The musical turned out to be quite successful, earning several Tony nominations, including one for Josh for lead actor in a musical. Sadly, he didn't win (something he and Sara Bareilles made light of when they performed "This Is to the People Who Lose" while hosting the 2018 Tony awards). When Josh left the show on July 2, 2017, he immediately returned to the studio. The result of that year of work recording both original compositions and eclectic covers is BRIDGES, his eighth studio album. Bridges was released last Friday, giving me a full week to listen, absorb and think. Featuring a familiar mixture of languages, tunes that embrace the open operatic style that made Josh famous, lively pop tunes, and a few thoughtful covers, Bridges is just what fans have been waiting for. And while I'm not yet ready to figure out where it fits in my personal ranking of Josh's albums, I am delighted with this new collection of music. Here's my song-by-song review:

1.       GrantedIf you have a light, go find it, The story’s yours, go write it. Josh has included a hopeful song on every album since "You Raise Me Up" on Closer. Following similar songs like "Brave" and "Hidden Away," "Granted" again encourages the hopeful artists, the wannabe writers, the dreamers in all of us. It also contains a great little Easter Egg for Josh's charitable foundation, Find Your Light, which funds arts education for children. (Josh Groban/Toby Gad/Bernie Herms)
2.       Symphony I'm staring at an empty page, Trying to write the things I didn't say to you... Ah! The lyrics in this love song are so endearing and vulnerable, they make my heart ache a little. Featuring beautiful acoustic guitar played by co-writer Toby Gad, "Symphony" has a Spanish flavor that grounds the orchestral theme and syncopated rhythm. (Josh Groban/Toby Gad/Bernie Herms)
The Boise River at sunset.
Photo: Tara Froelich
3.       River Let the waves take on my worries, Conquer them with fury, Be my shelter, Be my Escape... With a choir that joins at just the right moment, "River" is about conquering depression and worry and has the feeling of a spiritual. While the lyrics fall short of finding God in the waters, they remind me of scripture that frequently does (Psalm 42:5-8, John 7:38, I Peter 3:21). But if you're looking for a more secular experience, the lyrics expound on the peace gained by walking by the river, something I also identify with since the Boise River is one of my favorite places to walk. (Josh Groban/Toby Gad/Bernie Herms)
4.       Musica del Corazon In your eyes I see my reflection, And truth... The first foreign language song on Bridges, "Musica del Corazon" picks up the tempo from every other Spanish song Josh has recorded. (Just see if it doesn't make you want to book your next vacation in Barcelona.) The pure energy in this piece is anchored by Spanish flamenco virtuoso Vicente Amigo. Josh (ever generous and eager to highlight talented artists we may have never heard) gives Amigo ample room to shine -- and even steal the show a time or two. (Josh Groban/Lester Mendez/Claudia Brandt)
5.       Bridge Over Troubled WaterI'll take your part, when darkness comes, And pain is all around... I have been expecting Josh to sing this song for fourteen years - no joke (and kind of an embarrassing story). And he HAS performed it many times, starting with Paul Simon himself, but Josh never felt ready to record it until now. I understand that ... because as much as I love Josh, this song is a hard sell for me. First, Simon and Garfunkel are my childhood favorites. So there’s the original to compete with. Second, have you heard Roberta Flack’s version? It is Ah-mazing and includes the Harlem Boys Choir. Another all-time favorite. But here's what Josh did that works: First, he waited for the right time to record it, and he worked with the right producer, Bernie Herms, who has a background in gospel music. Second, he kept the piano front and center – and Bernie "brought church into it" as Josh explains, which includes this great minor note he hits now and then and fresh percussion that keeps the song from dragging. Third, he included an amazing choir -- another must that reminds me of his Stevie Wonder cover of I Believe (When I Fall In Love it Will be Forever). The result is beautiful and just a pleasure to listen to. (Paul Simon)
6.       Run – (duet with Sarah McLachlan) Even if you cannot hear my voice... This cover of a Snow Patrol song is so touching, it’s the first one that made me cry. I already love singing along with Sarah (I’m an alto after all. There's nothing I love more than harmonizing!) The song is lyrically reminiscent of another favorite by Josh, "Awake", and also of that amazing scene in Last of the Mohicans when Daniel Day Lewis promises to find Madeleine Stowe.  (Gary Lightbody/Jonathan Quinn/Mark McClelland/Nathan Connolly/Iain Archer)
7.    S’il Suffisait D’Aimer – This Celine Dion cover demonstrates Josh's mastery of French songs, which he says are the most challenging, but also "like eating dessert." Hmm. Now I want a chocolate raspberry truffle..(Jean-Jacques Goldman/Roland Romanelli)
8.       Won’t Look Back –  You make each place I go feel like home... This song will make you want to go for a sunset drive with your sweetheart. A slice of Americana reminiscent of "Happy in my Heartache" from Josh's All That Echoes album -- but with a happier outcome. (Josh Groban/Steve Robson/Wayne Hector)
9.   We Will Meet Once Again – (duet with Andrea Bocelli) Thank you for giving me the patience of heroes, the courage... If you've been waiting for that classical Italian song that shows off Josh's voice, this is it. The amazing bonus? You get to hear him harmonize with the incomparable Andrea Bocelli. This song is luscious and sweeping and everything I would want from a duet between these two amazing voices. It also brings them full circle since they first met when Josh was just a timid teenager filling in for Bocelli at a Grammys rehearsal. (Josh Groban/Bernie Herms/Toby Gad/Andrea Bocelli/Marco Guazzone/Jacqueline Nemorin)
10.   More of YouI'm not impressed, I'm amazed, I write your name on every page... If you added a twang and a dobro, I'm convinced this could climb the country music charts. As it is written, it's a sweeping love song with lyrics that every woman wants to hear from the man she loves. (Toby Gad/Danny O’Donoghue/Mark Sheehan/Josh Groban/Bernie Herms)
11.   99 Years – (duet with Jennifer Nettles) There'll be a thousand moments for you to say "I told you," And a million more for us to say "I love you"... Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland fame joins Josh on this ballad to lifelong love. Lyrically it reminds me of "Higher Window," another ode to surviving a relationship (though 99 Years seems more hopeful). Their voices sound great together and this song has one of those epic key changes I love. (Josh Groban/Bernie Herms/Toby Gad)
12.   Bigger Than Us –  With my hands up to the sky, I am reaching out tonight, Cuz this is bigger than us... This song is about coping with those things that are too big to handle, or reaching out for help when you can't cope anymore. Some of the lyrics remind me of Ecclesiastes. Edgy instrumentation effectively punctuates the plea for help. (Josh Groban/Bernie Herms/Toby Gad)

BONUS TRACKS:
13.   You Have No IdeaWhen you say you wonder how I feel about you, You have no idea... Josh sings this cover of a Harry Connick Jr. song with such sweet poignancy, reaching those high notes flawlessly and flawlessly backed up by a full-range of strings. (Dan Wilson/Francis Anthony White/Harry Connick, Jr.)
14.   She’s Always a WomanShe can ruin your faith with her casual lies... From the familiar arpeggios to the confusing lyrics about a woman who seems too difficult to like, much less love, this Billy Joel cover is as beautiful as it can be in Josh's voice. I hope the real women in his life are less capricious. (Billy Joel)
15.   Signs –  When your eyes tried to escape, And the ground began to shake... This achingly vulnerable breakup song is so sad and personal, you can hear it in Josh’s voice. Then he pushes the impression, going up an octave in the chorus. It actually reminds me of a flashback scene in my second novel, A Place Between Breaths, when Rachel and Marius say goodbye in the pouring rain. (Josh Groban/Bernie Herms/Toby Gad)
16.   Everything You NeededSunlight will fill your heart again, You're hurting now, but friend, Your pain is the beginning... When you're drowning in the difficulties of life, you can always count on Josh to try and lift your spirits. This album finale includes an impressive solo by British cellist Caroline Dale and once again demonstrates Josh's heart. (Sia Furler)

·         Bridges was produced by Bernie Herms, Toby Gad, Steve Jordan and Dann Huff and released by Reprise Records.


Comments

  1. Where did you find the last 2 songs on the album? (Signs and Everything You Needed) I've never seen them on YouTube or any of Josh's pages, and it doesn't seem like they are on the CD or anything. How can I listen to them?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Truth Lies & Everything in Between: A Propaganda Almanac

Dreaming of Neverland

Twelve Teen Dystopian MUST Reads for Summer 2018